Quality of education and high value of degree in UK leads to a little high expenses. Tuition fee and living expenses are high for students but those who are still willing to get good quality education; UK provides scholarships and student loans for. Students can get loan easily for their studies which they will have to return when they will start earning £21,000/ year. 9% interest on loan is charged from students from getting first payment to till they return the loan. These loans are not only to pay tuition fee but also living expenses and government provide these loans through student loan company (SLC).
Scholarships are provided on both merit base and need base by universities and colleges. Merit base is given to talented students on reserved quota while need base is for needy students who can’t afford expenses. For Pakistani students “University of Sheffield, UK “is providing two scholarships to learn any undergraduate or postgraduate course. Each includes 50% of the tuition fee. These are provided on the basis of academic merit. To be eligible for this scholarship, student has to be self-funding and Pakistani national. University is providing some other scholarships with a fixed amount for different disciplines like science, management, MBA etc. same as there are many universities who provide scholarships to talented students.
UK is providing international students with different schemes to help them in study expenses. Some of these schemes are given below
- Euraxess UK is funding students who are willing to do research work in UK with the collaboration of few organizations. Like,
- European Science Foundation (ESF)
- European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
- EU Framework Programmes
- European Research Council
- BILAT – International projects and funding
- World Universities Network
- Santander Universities
- Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan provide scholarship to students of commonwealth countries in master or doctoral courses plus for 6 months clinical course. Masters course includes engineering, science, humanities and agriculture Pakistan is also a commonwealth country. This program is jointly managed by ,
- Commonwealth Scholarships Commission
- the British Council
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Scholarship covers international travels, tuition fee, maintenance and other allowances.
- The Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust provides scholarship to the Pakistani students who are willing to study Doctoral, research, artist and Scottish summer school. There is different criteria for every different field to be eligible for this program
- International Atomic Energy Agency Scholarships is provided to some selected counties including Pakistan. It is given to the students who are going to graduate from UK University on basis of merit.
- Chevening Awards in Pakistan is given by UK government to Pakistani students. To be eligible for this scholarship student have to hold upper-second class degree and they have to be resident of Pakistan since 2 years. Following are the partners of this program:
- Chevening/Brunel University Scholarship
- Chevening/Cardiff University Scholarship
- Chevening/London School of Economics and Political Science Scholarship
- Chevening/University of Birmingham Scholarship
- Chevening/University of Glasgow Scholarship
- Chevening/University of Southampton Scholarship
- Chevening/Oxford University Foreign Service Programme Scholarship
- Chevening/University of Exeter Scholarship
- Chevening/Bangor University Scholarship
- Chevening/Durham University Scholarship
- Chevening/University of Cambridge Scholarship
So with the help of all these funds and scholarships students can bear some of the study expenses in UK.